News from 11/2014

24 November 2014

Intellectual competence sufficient for Finance Spokesman Role

Grant Robertson has been appointed Finance Spokesman for the NZ Labout Party. He later issued a statement saying the Government's challenge was to support an economy delivering good, sustainable jobs paying decent wages. “It’s time the economy delivered for all New Zealanders, not just the fortunate few," he said. “The economy should work for people, not the other way around. I will campaign for reform to monetary policy, savings and the tax system to ensure a fair go for all, with people put first," he said.…Read

23 November 2014

The Philosophical Business Plan

Peter Day's World of Business

Business is the most practical of enterprises. Philosophy is among the most abstract of all intellectual disciplines. So business and philosophy might appear to be at opposite ends of a spectrum. In fact, as Peter Day has been discovering, business people have much to learn from philosophers, whose insights could even boost a company’s profits.



22 November 2014

Is the Capitalist system a process of evolution or simply the random flux of human events?

“Faced with the near-universal triumph of market forces, many have concluded that capitalism has won out in a process of evolution like that which occurs among species. Intensely innovative and enormously productive, capitalism seems to have driven every other type of economy to extinction.”  John Nicholas Gray is an English political philosopher with interests in analytic philosophy and the history of ideas.


19 November 2014

Andrew Little has been named the new Labour leader,

The difference between Mr Robertson and Mr Little was only 1.04 percent of the overall vote, with 49.48 percent and 50.52 percent respectively,  a margin that could have been wiped out if just one MP had switched sides. 

                          G.Robertson                        A. Little

Caucus  40%    …Read

13 November 2014

Rosetta mission: Robot making historic descent to comet

A European spacecraft is on course for the first, historic landing on a comet.

The vast distance between the comet and Earth - 510 million km - means radio commands take almost half-an-hour to reach the spacecraft.



12 November 2014

Rosetta mission controllers have made the first call to “Go” for an attempted landing

The comet is currently hurtling through space at 24,600 miles per hour and its nucleus is only 2.5 miles wide. If the systems check out and a ‘Go-for-landing' is declared, the separation motors will fire at 3:46 a.m. ET Wednesday. But due to the distance between the spacecraft and Earth, it will take a further 18 minutes for the signal confirming separation to reach Earth.


11 November 2014

The New Labour Party Leader soon to be announced

Who will be the next Labour Party leader?  This will be decided on 18th November.

Labour's leadership contenders do not support Prime Minister John Key's plan to help fight Islamic State in Iraq by sending military trainers. The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) is a Sunni, extremist, jihadist unrecognized state and self-proclaimed caliphate based in Iraq and Syria in the Middle East. The group has been designated as a terrorist organization by the United Nations, the European Union, the United Kingdom, the United States, Australia, Canada, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia…Read

10 November 2014

Panic over the Labour leadership in the U.K

Ed Miliband’s Labour party leadership was plunged into fresh crisis as senior Labour MPs revealed that at least 20 shadow ministers were on the brink of calling for him to stand down.



8 November 2014

6 November 2014

President Barack Obama

Republicans rise to power in the US Senate after a loss by the  Democratic Party.  Republicans needed six seats to win control of the 100-member Senate, and by late evening they had seven.

It is believed that the win by the Republicans was attributable to a U.S. economy that is not growing broadly enough to help many middle class Americans.



5 November 2014

U.S Politics,

Comparison chart:   Democrats     Republicans

DEMOCRATS: Left-Leaning.  Minimum wages and progressive taxation, i.e., higher tax rates for higher income brackets

REPUBLICANS: Right-Leaning. :Believe taxes shouldn't be increased for anyone (including the wealthy) and that wages should be set by the free market.






3 November 2014

Grant Robertson and Jacinda Ardern: Good together!

Grant Robertson's preferred deputy in Labour leadership race is Jacinda Ardern. The Labour caucus ultimately decides the deputy, but the leader's preference tends to win.